I am not a music whore. I don’t live for the next great artist, song or album. That said I enjoy music, most types of music. Leave out twangy country, angry rap and destructive death metal and I am good!
I find that I go back to the same “comfort music” again and again. In fact, I do this so much that I forever ruin wonderful songs. I ruin them because I listen them to death, they get stuck in my head for days, and then I can never again listen to them without them becoming enslaved in my thoughts. I was told a surefire way to remove songs that are stuck on mental replay is to hum the theme to The Smurfs cartoon and, surprisingly, this frequently works, but not always. In the most recent example I can cite I was forced to endure Gwen Stefani’s The Sweet Escape for an entire weekend. I hear those woo hoo’s in my nightmares now!
Music runs the gamut of all emotions making it easy to find music to match your mood or to coax you into a different mood. Since I love laughing it seems apropos that some of my favorite songs make me laugh out loud, or at least smirk a little! Songs like Banjo Boy, from Ryan Shupe and the Rubberband; Gimme Three Steps, from Lynard Skynyrd; Mood Rings, from Reliant K, The Spiderman Theme brilliantly performed by Michael Buble; The Barenaked Ladies singing If I Had a Million Dollars; Chris Rice singing the Cartoon Song; or Carmen poking fun at soap operas in the Soap Song.
What I love love love is finding just one phrase from a song that is completely, totally, outstandingly brilliant! It jumps right out and grabs me by the, well, by the something or other. Here are some of my favorites in a quiz format- see how many of the songs you know. Don’t worry, I’ll throw in some easy ones!
1. My Maserati does 185, I lost my license, now I don’t drive.
2. ‘Cause every time I see your bubbly face I get the tingles in a silly place. It starts in my toes, and I crinkle my nose, where ever it goes I always know that you make me smile.
3. Now it seems to me, some fine things
Have been laid upon your table
But you only want the ones that you can’t get
4. Lately I’ve been running on faith
What else can a poor boy do?
But my world will be right
When love comes over you
5. When I get older I will be stronger
They’ll call me freedom
Just like a wavin’ flag
6. Every gambler knows that the secret to surviving
Is knowing what to throw away and knowing what to keep
‘Cause every hand’s a winner and every hand’s a loser
And the best that you can hope for is to die in your sleep
7. I never knew you, you never knew me,
Say hello goodbye,
Say hello and wave goodbye
8. You’re the cutest thing that I ever did see
I really love your peaches wanna shake your tree
9. If beauty is all in the eye of the beholder then I
wish you could see the love for you that lives in me
10. Have you ever looked fear in the face and said, “I just don’t care”?
11. While peace like a river runs into the setting sun, mercy painting the sky
12. I feel wonderful because I see the love light in your eyes.
And the wonder of it all is that you just don’t realize how much I love you
13. My chains are gone, I’ve been set free. My God, My Savior has ransomed me. And like a flood His mercy reigns, unending love amazing grace.
14. Born alone, die alone and I’m just sittin’ here by the phone waiting for the Lord to send my callin’.
15. Who can say if your love grows,
As your heart chose?
Lazarus, COME FORTH, I command you, Come forth
NO PEEKING! ANSWERS BELOW! (Each song title is a link to a YouTube video for the song and the number following is the time stamp location of the key phrase in the video.)
1. Joe Walsh, Life’s Been Good 1:54
2. Colbie Caillat, Bubbly :23
3. Eagles, Desperado 1:13
4. Eric Clapton, Runnin’ on Faith :35
6. Kenny Rogers, The Gambler 1:18
7. David Grey, Say Hello, Wave Goodbye 1:42
8. Steve Miller Band, The Joker 1:12
9. Geoff Moore, If You Could See What I See :37
10. Pink, Glitter in the Air :48
11. Nouveaux, Simply Beautiful :54
12. Eric Clapton, You Look Wonderful Tonight 2:05
13. Chris Tomlin, Amazing Grace 1:15
14. Everlast, Saving Grace 1:16
15. Enya, Only Time :24
16. Carman, Lazarus 5:18
So, how’d you do? Aww, who cares, it was fun anyway, wasn’t it?